Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lost on the Kamehamaha Highway AKA Highway Ends Here

With directions from google maps in hand, we set off to see the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. We felt really good about how things were going until we see a sign that says "highway ends here"!

We make an illegal U-turn to get back in the direction we came from and find a Jack-In-The-Box where a nice oriental couple tells us how to get going in the right direction. Somehow we had missed a turn-off and had gone way out of the way.

We finally make it to the memorial and I am really glad we did. It is such a humbling experience and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It was so nice and peaceful there and there was a nice gentle rain while we were there.

We made it back to Waikiki without getting lost! After eating we walked up Kalakaua avenue and I walked on the beach a bit. We made it back to the hotel and I finally talked Rick into walking on the sand. It was really relaxing to feel the sand between my toes.

We have to return the car and check out by 11 AM and we have until about 6:15 PM until the bus picks us up to take us back to the airport and back home...sigh...I don't want to leave.

We get back home on Sunday around 1 PM and I have to work on Monday-jet lag, sun burn and all! I may wear a Hawaiian shirt to work in protest of not wanting to be back!













No comments: