Thursday, March 31, 2005

A busy-dreary-crazy-odd-weird day

Work started out busy and stayed that way until quitting time. I had so much to do that it looked like a filing cabinet exploded on my desk. When I left at five it didn't look much better. It started out nice and sunny, but by 2PM we had snow mixed with rain.

My day planner used to have maybe one entry here or there-a haircut or a birthday-now it looks like a journal. There are a ton of work related functions and meetings and trainings.

I looked up as everyone was saying it was time to go home-I thought it was around 3:30. I hope to be able to get most of it done before lunch. We are having a big fund raising event this weekend and all the last minute donations and sign ups are pouring in. I spent 3 hours counting money and logging checks! It was amazing-luckily the bank we use is in the same building-I get nervous carrying all of that around.

I went today and bought more things to make my office "my own". One lady that I have instantly bonded to keeps saying now she has to up her office to keep up-so it has kinda become a fun contest. Her and I have hit it off really well, Rick and I, her and her husband are all going out this weekend.

My parents called today and said that they are coming back on Saturday-a week early. They wouldn't explain exactly why. I'm fearing that the doctors have told them there is nothing they can do, or that my Mom decided against having the surgery after the doctors told her about the extent of what it entails.

We originally thought that the cancer had started last fall. The doctors told them on Monday that it has been at least a year and more progressed than originally thought. They said doing the surgery, if they even could, would leave her disfigured facially and with a major decrease in speech. My parents said they were waiting to hear back from them.

The lack of information I got out of them today worried me. My Mother is the type that would not want to live like that, she is stubborn and wouldn't listen if my Dad is telling her until he is blue in the face that at least you would be alive.

Today me and my sister had the first "what if" talk about how we would handle everything if the news is as bad as we think. It made it more real to both of us-but after our talk I realized how lucky to have a sister like her.

I told my boss the other day about what I thought was my Mom's upcoming surgery and she said that if I had to leave to be with them that I was not to worry, my job was secure, that family came first around here. So I am lucky to have a work environment like that.

The only concern my parents showed me today was that I bring Corky with me when I pick them up at the airport. Let's hope that Petey doesn't succeed in his attempts to deflower her by then!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Jeff. You hadn't mentioned her lately and so I was hoping she was doing good. Shit! I'm thinking of you, friend. Russ

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeff, I hate hearing that! My thoughts are with you, and yours!
Sim