Thursday, January 13, 2005

From bad to worse..

Today the only thing I got accomplished was a much needed grocery store run. The last week has been odd.

My parents are the type of people that won't ask for help. Not sure if it is pride or the way they were raised. Over the years my Dad has asked me for a major favor twice-major for him, not me. Once I bought him a pair of glasses when he was short on money and one time I picked him up when his car broke down.

He calls me last week and tells me that my Mother has a tumor-nothing major he says. From knowing how he is, I keep badgering him for more information. Nothing. Then I keep calling and badgering and finally get out of him that it is cancerous, but nothing major, its localized and the surgery will be a snap. Once again I keep badgering him. Nothing. Even my Mother won't budge.

Finally I get the whole story out of him (or so I thought). He tells me that it hasn't spread but the doctors want them to go to MD Anderson in Houston, just in case he says. We live in a town where people move here just to be near our wonderful medical centers, hospitals, cancer centers etc., so I know something is up.

Today I finally hear from my Sister. She called our Grandfather and he told her that the cancer has spread to bone and lymph. This we didn't know. Now I've got to try to badger more out of my Dad which won't be easy.

The harder part will be to get him to realize that there is support out there, money wise. They aren't wealthy and my Mothers insurance has lapped. So tomorrow, armed with my internet search printouts of all the information I found, I'm going to go get to the bottom of this and try to convince them that sometimes you just have to accept help.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for this bad news, Jeff. It's hard to parent your parents, but it sounds like you are more than up to the task.

Thinking of you,
Russ

Anonymous said...

(I've tried to comment before, but am anything but a technophile; I just realized I didn't have to sign up to do it!)
You and you're mom are in my thoughts--take care.

Sim

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your mother, jeff.

david's mother has bowel cancer AND Alzheimers. She underwent treatment for the cancer, but it has recurred. After months and months of stubbornly taking care of her by himself, their father finally could not do it anymore and had to put her in a nursing home, one of the most difficult decisions in his life.

It is very hard for the family to see this once very intelligent, loving, resourceful woman now an invalid, so my thoughts are with you and your family and i hope only the best for your mom

letti.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I've said a prayer for your mom and your family, and will do so again from time to time. Of all the things in the world, I hate cancer most. Mosie1944@aol.com